Monday, February 18, 2008

Flotsam by David Wiesner - Caldecott Medal Winner


Well, I have discovered that I am not the biggest fan of picture books. Please do not misunderstand, the illustrations in this book are amazing and beautiful to look at. I just prefer to read someone else's words than to have to come up with my own.
In Flotsam, David Wiesner tells (or draws?) the story of a little boy who likes to look for things that have washed up on shore, or flotsam as it is called. The boy finds an underwater camera and gets the film developed, only to discover amazing things that go on at the bottom of the sea. For instance, Wiesner depicts islands in the middle of the ocean are really enormous starfish that can move at their will, and families of octupi reading books together. He finally comes upon a picture of a girl holding a picture of a boy holding a picture, and so on and so forth. He decides to do the same, him holding a picture of a picture (are you following all of this?!) and then throw the camera back into the ocean for someone else to enjoy. Trust me, the whole story is better in the pictures!
I was trying to come up with a story to go along with this book so my son and I could read it together. He got immensely bored with me and moved on to playing ball with his dad! I just am not a creative person, so this story was difficult to come up with in my mind. I like other peoples' imaginations much better!
Sources:
www.barnesandnoble.com Retrieved image on 2-18-08
Wiesner, D. (2006). Flotsam. New York: Clarion Books.

No comments: