Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Three Pigs by David Wiesner - a Caldecott Medal book


The Three Pigs was written and illustrated by David Wiesner, and is a tale of what would have happened had the pigs could have written the story. After some of the original tale, the pigs decide that instead of being eaten, they would "jump" out of the story and hide from the wolf. The three pigs find this is very exciting and go exploring in other stories, from which they gather some followers: The cat with the fiddle (from Hey diddle diddle!) and a big dragon. Instead of staying hidden in obscurity forever, the pigs, cat and dragon decide to head back to Number Three Pig's brick house and turn the tables on Mr. Wolf. Boy is he in for a surprise!
While I did not enjoy this book quite as much as I thought I would, it was still a fun tale. It reminded me of an assignment I had in eighth grade, where we were to make up alternate endings to common stories such as The Three Pigs. The illustrations were wonderful, and I liked them much better than some of the more abstract drawings I have seen in other books. I just do not understand that type of interpretation I guess!
Sources:
Wiesner, D. (2001). The three pigs. New York: Clarion Books.
www.barnesandnoble.com Image retrieved on 4-4-08.

No comments: